The following story was written in 1930 by the Teachers, Pupils and Patrons of the Carbon District. Please, read the foreword about this project. If anyone knows the names of the writers of these stories please notify Kathy Hamaker so credit can be given to those that deserve the credit.


Peerless

The mining community of Peerless is located three miles west of Helper and the first coal camp to be developed in the Spring Canyon district. The elevation is 6,000 feet.

In the year 1915, 440 acres of land high up on the cliffs above Helper were owned by a group of people from Ogden. This tract had either been overlooked or rejected by both the Spring Canyon Coal Company and the Utah Fuel company as mining property. Since the owners did not wish to operate a mine they were anxious to secure a purchaser, but with the property so located on a point of the mountain, it was difficult to determine how far under cover the coal would be burned, a fact which impeded the sale. However, the Sweet brothers, Charles and Will, took option on the property and following development work sold it to the mining me, Thompson and Murdock, of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Development of the mine followed in rapid strides. A tramway was built to convey the coal from the steep mountainside to the tipple and coal shipments were started about 1917. During the boom years of the coal business, from 1917 to 1921, the coal produced from this mine paid for the project and cleared a bonded indebtedness of $400,000.00 and by 1920 the mine was free from any outstanding obligations.

The coal is now practically worked out and the company has opened a new mine in Price Canyon just above Rolapp. Robert Howard was the Superintendent of the new mine from first operations, until his death, and great credit is due him for development of the new property.

The community of Peerless was comprised of about thirty houses, a store, an office, a post office, a very fine clubhouse for the officials of the company, and a school house, all being well occupied during the life of the camp. About 150 men were employed while the property was at its height of production.


Back

The following story was written in 1930 by the Teachers, Pupils and Patrons of the Carbon District. Please, read the foreword about this project. If anyone knows the names of the writers of these stories please notify Kathy Hamaker so credit can be given to those that deserve the credit.


Rains and Mutual

Rains precinct, including Mutual, is located at the upper end of Spring Canyon, seven miles west of Helper at an altitude of 7,000 feet above sea level.

The precinct of Rains has had several different operators within the history of its development. In 1915, L.F. Rains succeeded in interesting P.J. Quealy, a coal operator from Wyoming, in the coal lands just west of Standardville. The land was purchased from the government and the Carbon Fuel Company organized with Mr. Rains as president. It is interesting to note that Mr. Rains was formerly a grand opera singer, until he was attracted to the coal mining business in which he has since made a marked success. In 1913-14 he was general manager for the Standard Coal Company and prior to that time had gained experience selling coal in California.

The new mining community was named Rains. Little development work was necessary on the property and the first load of coal was shipped in November, 1915. Some 60 houses were built for the employees and their families, together with a school building, boarding house, and store. While the mine was at the peak of operation there were about 200 men employed and daily production of coal averaged from 1200 to 1500 tons. The coals seam was about 18 feet thick and of good quality. The mine was operated continuously until March 1930, at which time it was closed down and has not been reopened.

Other mining activities in the Rains precinct are given here in order of their development: Norton No. 1 mine was opened in the fall of 1917 by Thomas Lamph; Thompson Rains wagon mine was opened in the fall of 1917 by Thompson Rains; Norton No. 2 mine was opened in the fall of 1918 by Walter Dake; Annis and DeMyer mine was opened in February 1921, by Frank Hennis; Mutual No. 3 mine was opened in March 1925 by Albert Shaw. Superintendents of the Mutual Coal Company since 1921, have been Mans H. Coffin, Jr., Albert Shaw, W.J. Bowns, and Oliver Sutch.

The McLean mine has always been a small producer, having a daily output at present of from 50 to 100 tons. Mutual Coal Company is the only mine of consequence in this district.

The Mutual Coal Company has produced a total of 1,531,264 tons from February 1921, to December 31, 1931. The maximum tonnage for one year was 191, 635 tons and the minimum was 99,289 tons. Mutual coal is generally rated as one of the best domestic coals in the territory, operating in what is known as No. 2 sub-seam. The coal content of their present land holdings is 20,320,000 tons. Producing a yearly tonnage of 200,000 tons, which is more than any one previous year's tonnage, the life of the Mutual operation would be 100 years.

The present school house located at Rains was built in 1921, and also serves the population from Mutual. Rains is also the post office for the Mutual camp.


Back

The following story was written in 1930 by the Teachers, Pupils and Patrons of the Carbon District. Please, read the foreword about this project. If anyone knows the names of the writers of these stories please notify Kathy Hamaker so credit can be given to those that deserve the credit.


Rolapp - Royal - Cameron - Bear Canyon

Rolapp is picturesquely located at the foot of Castle Rock, at the junction of the Bear River and Price River canyons on the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad. It is approximately eleven miles northwest of Helper and one mile northwest of Castle Gate, at an elevation of 6256.25 feet. The new Pike's Peak Highway, completed in October 1931, runs through the center of town. A stage line was started in July 1931 between Salt Lake City and Price. Thus, Rolapp is conveniently located for transportation and communication with Salt Lake City and other state centers.

In 1913 this district attracted the attention of Mr. Frank Cameron, who had previously developed the Heiner property. The first work began in Rolapp with thirty-five men employed. Because of its location the camp was appropriately named Bear Canyon. As the population increased and the mine prospered, the camp was given the name of Cameron, in honor of Mr. Cameron. In 1917, Frank Cameron sold his interest to Henry H. Rolapp. Again the name of the camp was changes in honor of the new manager. The Royal Coal Company owned the property until 1930 when they sold their interests to the Spring Canyon Coal Company.

Rolapp is not incorporated and is, therefore, governed by the county. There are no parks, amusement halls, libraries or churches. All public meetings and gatherings are held in the school buildings. The population varies during the different times of the year. In the winter it is much greater because of the increase in the amount of work in the mine. One can readily see that the present output is not as great as it was in previous years, by comparing the population between the years 1913 to 1920, and the period of 1920 to 1930. In the first period there was an increase of 226 people, while in the latter - a longer period of time - there was an increase of only 129.

The capacity of the mine, when working full force, ranges from 1,000 to 1,200 tons per day. About forty-five men are employed in the mine and about thirteen employed outside. The following nationalities are represented in the town: American, Austrian, Italian, Greek, and Japanese. Most of the foreign born people readily adapt themselves to American customs and habits of living. At the time when the mine was booming this was even more pronounced than it is today. At that time the people were more permanently settled because of the steady work. Realizing that this would ]be their home for several years they were more interested in making their homes comfortable and attractive. The recent decline in economic conditions has caused many residents to move to other localities.


Back

The following story was written in 1930 by the Teachers, Pupils and Patrons of the Carbon District. Please, read the foreword about this project. If anyone knows the names of the writers of these stories please notify Kathy Hamaker so credit can be given to those that deserve the credit.


Scofield

The town of Scofield lies in the bituminous coal fields of Carbon County about 19 miles from the main line of the D. & R. G. Railroad with an elevation of 6,675 feet. Nestled among the hills that surround the upper part of Pleasant Valley, the town is completely isolated from the rest of Carbon County.

"Pleasant Valley is about six miles long and one mile wide, practically all of which is good wild hay land". The early settlers realized that the luxuriant growth of native grasses would make splendid pastures so by 1879 and 1890 immense herds of cattle roamed over the hills and valleys. The first settlers who were attracted by these immense ranges were: S. J. Harkness, T. H. Thomas, Williams Burrows, O.G. Kimball, D. D. Green, J. W. Metcalf, H. McKochency, and Joseph Castle. These pioneers had numerous friendly contacts with the Indians. Deer, wild fowl, and beaver were plentiful, while the streams offered excellent opportunities for fishing. The town was named in honor of General Scofield who owned a ranch in the vicinity and was an early timber contractor.

"Scofield has always been connected with the early history of coal mining in the State of Utah, and within a radius of three miles there are four mines which have been, or are now in operation. They are Winter Quarters, Utah Mine, Union Pacific Blue Seal, and Kinney."

Shortly after the coming of the settlers, coal was discovered. "The hidden treasures of the mountains were not long to lie hidden, and the discoverers soon found out that the supply was inexhaustible - that coal cropped out on every hand where veins were worked. The railway companies, finding that the coal fields were of such magnitude and covered much territory, began to survey for practical routes to reach the coal. The quiet atmosphere of the cattle men was turned into the hustle and activity that attends the opening of any new camp of this kind."

The population grew from the few pioneers to a prosperous community of about 800 inhabitants. In 1882 when the railroad was built to the valley, coal shipments began from Winter Quarters mine. The coal industry thrived and developed into a prosperous enterprise with little difficulty until May 1, 1900, when the Winter Quarters mine exploded taking as toll the lives of 199 men, many of who were living in Scofield at the time. For a detailed report of the explosion see the article in the preceding pages of this history.

On March 15, 1893, a petition carrying one hundred names asking for town government, was filed and recorded in the county recorder's office at Castle Dale, Emery County. (The county of Carbon was not organized at that time.) When the petition was granted the following March, a Town Board was elected, A. H. Earll became the first President, with Messrs. Kimball, Wright, Lewis, and Krebs as trustees. M.P. Braffet was appointed town Clerk and Thomas Lloyd, town Marshall. School buildings were erected, an L.D.S. Ward organized, and the community prospered. Pleasant Valley was an attractive place for outings and many people from various parts of the state came here for summer recreation.

The first school was a two room from building which stood near the city hall and was replaced in 1901 by a nice room brick building. The latter burned Dec. 18, 1927, which necessitated the holding of school in the church, the city hall, confectionery and the Madsen building. The trains passed within three feet of the latter building and often school was interrupted by a stranger or tramp who was very much surprised to meet the grins of the children who enjoyed the joke. The new building, to replace the one that had burned, was completed for the opening of school in the fall of 1928. Usually winter prevails for at least six months of the year and one can generally depend upon sufficient snow for winter sports such as skiing, tobogganing, and sleigh riding.

Scofield has no doubt seen the peak of its prosperity. The work in the mines has decreased, many houses and stores are boarded up, but in spite of all this, the community goes on, even though small. The nationalities represented are: Irish, Welsh, English, Danish, Swedish, Scotch, Greek, Finns, Austrians, Italians, and Americans.

Pleasant Valley continues to be an ideal place for hunting and fishing.


Back

The following story was written in 1930 by the Teachers, Pupils and Patrons of the Carbon District. Please, read the foreword about this project. If anyone knows the names of the writers of these stories please notify Kathy Hamaker so credit can be given to those that deserve the credit.


Spring Glen

Spring Glen, located along the fertile Price River Valley, two miles south of Helper, is known as the "Garden Spot of Carbon County". Its proximity to many of the coal mines enables numerous mine workers to own their own homes and garden plots and drive to and from their work.

The first settler of Spring Glen was James Davis Gay, a bachelor who came from Spanish Fork during the winter of 1879. He was attracted by the fertility of the Price River land and located on the west side of the stream, opposite the present townsite of Spring Glen. Two other bachelors, who followed and settled as near neighbors, were Omer Brimhall and Andrew Simmons. The family of Teancum Pratt came later in 1880. Mr. Brimhall sold his claim to F. W. Ewell in 1882. The coming of other settlers required a hall for meetings and the first school which was held in 1883, was taught by Mrs. Sarah Ewell. Religious classes were held in the same year.

By 1886 there were enough settlers to seriously consider building a town and taking up bench lands, a procedure which would require an expensive canal. In December, 1886, the following settlers met and took legal measurers to organize a canal company under the territorial statutes: F. W. Ewell, T. Pratt, H. J. Stowell, Andrew J. Simons, H. Southworth, Jans Hansen, W. H. Babcock, and others. On January 22, 1887, the company was organized and work commenced on the canal, which continues to serve the farming community. Much of the activity of the community was carried on in a church capacity. The building of the Spring Glen canal was supervised by the church leaders. The canal was finally completed and water carried to the land in April, 1893.

The town was named Spring Glen and a committee chosen to arrange for a building for meeting and school purposes. In 1886 a dramatic company was formed, and performances given in Spring Glen and Price. School was taught in Ewell's hall by T. Pratt and John Biglow. The meeting house was completed in 1886. The same year a group of citizens made preparations to lay out Spring Glen townsite. T. Pratt was elected secretary of the meeting and H. J. Stowell chairman. It was voted that the town should be four blocks north and south and three blocks east and west. T. Pratt, Edward Davis, and H. J. Stowell were elected to survey the townsite. The land was secured for the city lots for $10.00 per lot, including the streets.

An attempt was made to have a post office on February 20, 1888, which failed because the R. R. Company objected to stopping trains at that point. John Biglow was chosen postmaster. During the years 1888-1889 the settlement was engaged with the school and the meeting house. The ward was organized November 24, 1889, and J. J. Stowell chosen bishop. The counselors were Edwin Fulmer and A. J. Simons with T. Pratt ward clerk.

In 1889, John F. Rowley, an expert charcoal burner in the employ of the S. S. Jones Company of Spanish Fork Canyon, came to Spring Glen to investigate the possibilities of a charcoal business. Finding conditions favorable he built a set of charcoal kilns near the Blue Cut. At that time the narrow gauge railway, which runs through the Blue Cut, had been changed to a standard gauge, but it was equipped with a third rail so the narrow gauge cars could still be used when desired. The charcoal business proved profitable and many men were given employment, cutting and hauling wood and tending the kilns. The next year, another set of six kilns were built on the Andrew Simmons homestead, within the Spring Glen precinct. The mercantile business established was called the Blue Cut Charcoal Company, in connection with the charcoal business. The manufacture of charcoal continued for about fifteen years and proved to be of much benefit to the community financially.

Edwin D. Fullmer was made bishop of the ward in 1893. It was under his supervision that the public square was fenced and planted in trees. Other elders of the L.D.S. church to serve in the capacity of civic leaders were Thomas Rhodes, J.N. Miller, John T. Rowley, and in 1920 Silas Rowley was chosen and holds the position at the present time.

A new school building was erected in 1904. It consisted of two room building constructed of brick made locally, arranged in such a manner that the partition could be moved and the building used for school and community purposes. When this building became inadequate in 1912 another two room building and auditorium was added. In 1927 the older of the two buildings was removed to make place for an extensive new addition, which serves as grade and junior high school for Spring Glen and Kenilworth.

The population of Spring Glen has shown a steady growth and at the present time approximately 800 people have their homes there.


Back


[ Front page ] [ Towns ] [ Points of Interest ] [ Databases ] [ Research records ] [ Histories ] [Maps ]
[ Photographs ] [ Surname Page ] [ Query page ] [ Look-ups ] [ Links ] [ Utah Railway ] [ E-mail ]